The Temple of Khonsu at Karnak

3d model and reconstruction

The Temple of Khonsu at Karnak

A reconstruction of temple cross-section is presented here to show the structure of the building.

Apart from the images in the viewer, on request, it is possible to have other videos or other images from different perspectives.

Available multimedia materials:

  • videos
  • images
  • text

Are you interested in Media content on the Temple of Khonsu at Karnak?

Short history of

The Temple of Khonsu at Karnak

In the southern corner of the large Amun row of walls in Karnak stands the temple of Khonsu, oriented in a north-east to south-west direction, with the facade looking south-west towards the enclosure wall. Here, at the level of the temple, there is a beautiful gate, in front of which an avenue of sphinxes with a ram head and the image of Amenophis III (XVIII dynasty) between their legs starts. This road extended to the south and reached the temple of Luxor. Behind the gate, a second row of sphinxes of the Ramesses XI period, last representative of the XX dynasty, leads to the front of the temple. The building is in excellent conditions; its construction was started by Ramesses III (XX dynasty), but the decorations, with the exception of the innermost rooms, were completed by his successors  Ramesses IV and Ramesses XI, and by the king-priest Herihor (about 1080-1074 B.C.).

The sacred lake is located to the South of the temple of Amun at Karnak, it takes up a third of the total area of the sanctuary. It was built in the age of Amenhotep III (XVIII dynasty) for the ritual ablutions that the priests, who resided close to the lake, had to do four times a day.