The Temple of Hator at Deir-el-Medina

3d model and reconstruction

The Temple of Hator at Deir-el-Medina

For the reconstruction of the Temple of the goddess Hator, whose raised structures are still perfectly preserved, fundamental – as in the case of other Egyptian sanctuaries – was the work done for Description de l’Égypte, published in Paris between 1809 and 1829, with the drawings of reliefs, inscriptions, plans and views of the building.

Apart from the images in the viewer, on request, it is possible to have videos or other images from different perspectives.

Available multimedia materials:

  • videos
  • images
  • text

Are you interested in Media content on the Temple of Hator at Deir-el-Medina?

Short history of

The Temple of Hator at Deir-el-Medina

The temple of Hathor in Deir el-Medina is about 1 km west of the Ramesseum. The small building (15 x 9 metres) was started by Ptolemy IV Philopator (3rd century B.C.), and it was continued and completed under Ptolemy VI Philometor and Ptolemy Euergetes II (2nd century B.C.).

It is surrounded by a high wall made of raw bricks; a sandstone gate leads to the courtyard, at the centre of which stands the temple. A door on the façade leads to the hypostyle hall, supported by two columns with floreal capitals. The hypostyle hall is separated from the vestibule by two columns with a composite floreal capital, at the centre, and, on the two sides, by two pillars with capitals which show the face of Hathor, surmounted by the usual rectangular sistrum. The columns were connected to the pillars by intercolumn walls; the only remaining one is the one on the left. Between the columns there was a half-door. The vestibule leads to three chapels; the door of the central one is surmounted by seven heads of the goddess Hathor. A staircase led to the terrace above the building. The temple walls, the column trunks, the architraves and the intercolumn walls are completely covered with inscriptions and reliefs; the latter depict offering scenes in front of numerous deities, including the four to which the temple was dedicated: Hathor, Maat, and two deified architects. The first is Imhotep, the very high officer who lived at the time of pharaoh Djoser (III dynasty); the second is Amenophis son of Hapu, “head of all the king’s works” under Amenophis III (XVIII dynasty).