The Temple of Amon at Luxor

3d model and reconstruction

The Temple of Amon at Luxor

The reconstruction of the walls around Amon and monuments included therein allows us to enter the heart of the sanctuary. For our reconstruction, apart from most of the remains currently repositioned on site, a fundamental role was played by the drawings and plans from the tables in Description de l’Égypte, published in Paris between 1809 and 1829.

The images show the courtyard with the pilaster and the inside of the hypostyle hall whose columns, with inscriptions and figures, were painted.

Apart from the images in the viewer, on request, it is possible to have videos or other images from different perspectives.

Available multimedia materials:

  • videos
  • images
  • text

Are you interested in Media content on the Temple of Amon at Luxor?

Short history of

The Temple of Amon at Luxor

The modern city of Luxor stands on the eastern side of the Nile. The name el-Uqsur is an alteration of the Arab name el-Qusur (= the camp), deriving directly from castrum, a Latin word which indicates the camp of a Roman soldier garrison.

In the southern area, on the banks of the Nile, stands the temple of Amun, which also includes the small mosque of Abu el-Haggag, built in the 13th century A.D. The temple of Luxor was dependent on that of Karnak, to which it was connected by a procession way; it was called Ipet-Imen-resit, “the southern harem (or site) of Amun”, and on the occasion of the great celebration of Opet, during the second and third month of the flood season to celebrate the new year, the statue of the god reached it, arriving from Karnak in a solemn procession accompanied by music and dancing. The remains of the ancient building today – built after an earlier temple of the XII dynasty was dismantled – are the work of two great pharaohs of the New Kingdom: Amenophis III (XVIII dynasty) and Ramesses II (XIX dynasty). The initial project was probably by Amenophis son of Hapu, the head architect of Amenophis III.

The temple of Amun in Luxor, designed at the time of Amenophis III (XVIII dynasty) has a traditional plan: it was probably preceded by a pylon leading to a large courtyard with a double porch on three sides, then to the hypostyle hall; through a vestibule, the offering room and two other antechambers you reached the sacrarium. The porches and hypostyle hall are supported by fasciculate papyrus-shaped columns. The temple was connected to that of Karnak by a processional way which ended in Luxor with a double row of seven columns with a smooth trunk and open-chalice capital, nearly 16 m tall. At the time of Nectanebo I (XXX dynasty) this road was flanked by sphinxes with a human head.